Sweetsnomo

Thursday, March 02, 2006

One Year Anniversary

I will be "celebrating" tomorrow as it will be one year since being diagnosed with diabetes. Now I know that this is not something that is to be celebrated with all out parties and presents (unless you consider the medical supplies that the UPS man delivers). But I think this community of fellow PWD might understand the passing of this "milestone".

It was one year ago that I had my annual girly exam and had complained of feeling a bit tired lately and it's been hard to shake a sinus and other infections I had over the winter. Nice doctor sends me to the lab just to get my blood checked. No worries. These things usually always come back showing nothing unusual.

Two days later at 9:30pm I get a call from the nice doctor. It can't be good news when the doctor calls - especially that late. Didn't Larry David have a show highlighting the perils of calling after 9?!? Anyway, nice doctor says the lab called him and recommended that I go to the emergency room...my blood sugar came back high. Is 480 high? How high is high? The numbers didn't mean anything to me at the time. He said that this was the first time that he's ever had these tests come back with this type of result. Nice to know that I can now be counted as a "first" with him. I thanked the nice doctor.

I told hubby not to worry. It's probably nothing serious and to stay home with the kids...they just were put to bed. Don't mention anything yet and don't worry.

So off to the emergency room I go. I bring a book but can't even think of focusing on it. So in goes the IV and out comes more blood for testing. I remember one of the nurses saying "...now that you are a diabetic..." my mind was swimming. How can I be a diabetic. I'm not a kid (39) - too old for juvenile diabetes. Right? I didn't think I was old enough for what my Grandma had...it didn't make sense. The nurses kept injecting insulin into the IV to try to bring my sugars down. It didn't come down until 6am the next morning. I had my first low that morning...57. The nurse was happy that I could sense the low. No hypoglycemic unawareness. Yay! (I guess).

I met with the diabetic nurse. She seemed sympathetic at the time. She told me to go home and take Glyburide (5mg twice a day). She'll see me in a couple of days. She said I probably have had diabetes for a little while and that a few more days of highs were not going to hurt. So off home I went as a new Person With Diabetes. The road from inital Type 2 to Type 1.5 (LADA) would take another seven months to figure out.

Well that's how it was one year ago. I had my wedding rings engraved with the wedding date. What do you engrave for diabetes? I have seen some nice medical tatoos...Hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home