Sweetsnomo

Monday, March 06, 2006

Meal Planning (and Morning Blood Sugars)

My endo said to call her if my sugars go above 150 for my morning reading. Well they've been bouncing around between 130 and 148 for the past few weeks so I haven't called her. This morning it was "167"! I've never had a reading like that in the morning...pretty new and scary for me.

The readings had been creeping up so I started to walk on the treadmill again. Well I've been a little lax the past two weeks. It's a catch 22...I'm tired so I don't walk but I know that I'll gain more energy if I walk. I'd rather be on the couch watching Oprah and eating Fritos.

(Author takes a break to hunt through the kitchen for a snack - choses low-carb yogurt so we're good to go)

I am taking only Novolog with meals on a sliding scale (4 units if reading between 100-150). I am not on long-acting insulin. I am afraid of the long-acting. The reasoning is probably because I've seen my Dad have a few episode of hypoglycymia and think that I won't wake up...

This morning's reading could be attributed to the weekend foods...I tried a banana bread recipe with Splenda and 1/2 whole wheat flour...not like the real thing but pretty close. I only ate tiny bits (and one was when I was low) and incorporated it into my meals along with insulin. I guess I can't do this. Damn this disease. I love banana bread. My kids love banana bread. It's about the only thing I can make and now I think it's freaking out my sugars. Can I still make it for them and not eat it...I think I can but I will probably watch them as I drool.

Let's see if we can figure out what went wrong. I know what the diet should look like (a small card-size piece of fish, salad with oil/vinegar, veggie or two). This is how my weekend meal plan actually turned out (which feels like having the window shades up when its dark outside):

Saturday -(morning bg 137)
breakfast - bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwich with a little eggs on the side (reg. bread)
lunch - hot ham and cheese sandwich (reg. bread)/banana bread
dinner - sloppy joes with Fritos (had two low-carb beers)
snack - popcorn (no insulin due to beers)

Sunday - (morning bg 144)
breakfast - bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwhich with a little eggs (reg. bread)
snack - apple
lunch - hot ham and cheese sandwich (reg. bread)
(*edit-I forgot I had six Thin Mint cookies w/2 units of insulin)
dinner - sloppy joes with Fritos/a little banana bread
snack - peanuts

I say an overall D diabetic meal plan. I called the dietician but she has not called me back. I know the little plastic foods. I know portion control. I really don't eat THAT much. I just think my food choices are not the best. Notice the lack of veggies.

*I just remembered I had those darn cookies yesterday. That's why my sugars were probably wacky this morning. I did take two units of Novolog. Shouldn't that take care of that??? Just frustrated that I can't even have a cookie (or six)...

Let's see if I can get them down with better eating during the week.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said…

    Hi,
    It takes awhile to figure out foods and how much insulin to take for them. Do you have specific carb ratios for each meal? Sometimes those can change throughout the day. Do you carb count with everything (i.e., the cookies are actually easier to carb count because they have the nutritional info on the label). Sounds like you aren't on a pump, but have you ever considered it? Everyone has different carb ratios and quirks (i.e, dawn phenomenon, reactions to coffee/caffeine, etc.), so while I could give you a typical food day for me, it likely wouldn't matter since my carb ratios are likely to be different.

    Learning about how to eat as a T1 and match insulin so that your blood sugars are within range is a constant battle. It can get easier over time, though, so hang in there.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger sweetsnomo said…

    Hi, No not on the pump yet. I'm thinking my honeymooning is coming to an end. I generally eat between 45 and 60 grams of carbs per meal and take 4 units of Novolog. This usually works. The doctor said take one more unit or split it if I'm having something sinful like pizza or Chinese food.

    You mention caffeine...I just stopped drinking Diet Coke last week. I have not replaced it with anything else containing caffeine. That is probably why I'm more tired and maybe that is affecting my blood sugars. Hmmm...

    Thanks for the heads up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home