Sweetsnomo

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

At It Again

Well I started a fitness class at the gym one week ago. I can already see a difference in my body and especially my blood sugars. It amazes me that with proper diet and exercise the blood sugars just fall back into "normal" ranges...along with a little help with insulin of which I need A LOT less of now.

The class is three days a week from 9am-10am which consists of Monday and Friday circuit training on the machines (seven stations alternating two different exercises at each). Wednesday is cardio on the treadmill or elliptical machine. We've only done the endurance test so far and they said we'll do 1/2 hour on each. There are 13 people in this class.

The reason I signed up is that I was "livin' life in the 300s". I've seen that statement in one of the blogs and it's always resonated in my mind with every blood sugar test. They were slowly creeping up to where it was routine for me to see 250, 275, 300 and above. Mornings could be anywhere from 145 (which was a good number) to 220. My last A1c was 7.5...up from 7 last October.

It's been three years since diagnosis. And at 42 it's hard to teach a "past puberty puppy" new tricks. I think I still had the mentality that this weekend "is it" then I'll get my s**t together. I'm giving it another shot...hoping to make a lifestyle change instead of a quick fix.

The "diet" is that I get to eat five times per day. Three meals and two snacks. That will take a little time to get used to taking shots for the snacks...unless they are no carb like string cheese or an egg. Why can't the insulin pens have 1/2 unit increments? This would help since I went low twice last week trying to accommodate snacks and meals. A pump would work but I don't want to be hooked up to diabetes all day...sometimes I even forget about it (hence Hubby running back home for insulin when out to dinner).

I would like to lose about 20 lbs. I'm not too overweight but feel uncomfortable for what my body is used to. The doctor says I can eat whatever I want as long as I take insulin to cover it. That won't work if I want to stay fit and trim. I'll try to keep posting on my progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home