Sweetsnomo

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Feed a Body Good

I watched the Oprah Show the other day. It featured Dr. Mehmet Oz and a 90-day live longer, feel younger plan. They focused on a woman whose calendar age was 42 but her body age was 56! I was shocked to see a lot of similarities with her regarding how I eat and what I drink. I think I exercise a bit more but there are days when I do feel as exhausted as she looked. The doctors attributed the tired feeling to way she feeds her body. They went through her refrigerator and pantry (which looked an awful lot like mine - heavy on the awful) and was amazed, but not surprised, by what they showed. Most of the food she had was very bad for the body (enriched flour items, hidden heavy sugar/high fructose corn syrup products, salt laden items). She had very little that was worthy of eating to keep the body in good condition.

They also showed an actual heart bypass surgery on a 65 year old woman (very graphic but to the point). The heart was covered in fat...not the pink, pulsating muscle you would think would be in there. Scary. It was eye-opening to "see" how the heart suffers by the choices we make.

I love chicken strips, Stouffer's, pierogies...smothered in ranch, sauce or sour cream. I love salads only if covered in cheese and Thousand Island. What nutrition I do get could be MUCH better. I believe I am addicted to these tastes (fat, salt, etc.) with full-blown withdrawal if I don't eat it for a while.

I must try to change the way I eat...as soon as we can eat all the bad stuff in the fridge and pantry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home