Sweetsnomo

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The results

Well the results are in...6.6 on the A1c. I know some people don't tell but I feel that I would like to put it out there if this information could help someone else. My last test was 6.5 and I was seeing how far I could go with bad eating (fast food, late night snacks, popcorn with movies, birthday cake, all of life's temptations), a few (too many) brown pops (beers) and was expecting a lot worse.

The doc says no to Lantus so far. I am to stay with the Novolog Flexpen with meals on a sliding scale. It has been usually 4 units per meal. She did suggest an increase in my dinner time Novolog to six units for the 45-60 carbs that I eat.

I actually did this for the first time last night. I took six units with dinner but I did drop to 61 two hours later so I drank eight gulps of OJ. Checked 1/2 hour later and was at 81. Went to bed and this morning my numbers were...(drum roll please) 88. Wow! It does work if you go to bed with a good number that you can wake up with a good number.

I haven't been testing at night since I only get enough supplies for three tests a day. I usually end up purchasing another set of 25 strips due to testing when I'm low, a few goofed tests or the one you waste in order to calibrate your meter with each new bottle of strips.

This morning I was SHOCKED to see an 88. I think this is the first reading below 120 since diagnosis one year ago. Needless to say that I am pleasantly surprised. Let's see if I can keep it up.

I just wonder why Lantus is not a part of my regimen? It seems that other site I've read about have them on Lantus right away. Maybe I'm still honeymooning somewhat.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Eight Sips Theory strikes again! It may very well be the universal reaction treater.

    Unless you have one of those lows that goes on for d a y s ... in that case, it takes like eight cakes.

    Congrats on the great A1c!

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger Christine said…

    So are you taking no basal insulin right now? I'm not and I thought I was the only one that got away with that. I suspect I will be starting basal insulin this month though.

    Great job on the a1c.

    That stinks about 3 strips a day. I get 5 a day through insurance and whine.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger sweetsnomo said…

    Hi Megan,

    No basal for now. That's why I was surprised when my doctor just upped the dinner insulin. I thought everyone was on it.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger sweetsnomo said…

    Kerri,

    I usually go way overboard for the lows so I really tried to control myself and, surprisingly, felt better about it when it was over. I remembered your story from your blog and it stuck with me. Thanks! It helped!

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Why won't the doctor prescribe Lantus? That seems odd and pretty restrictive on you.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger sweetsnomo said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger sweetsnomo said…

    Hi Julia,

    She said I don't need it yet. She is worried, as am I, that I may go too low at night. I think I will try to test (at my own expense) at bedtime and at 2am and see where I'm at and then see how I am in the morning. I am very frustrated.

    I did the six units with dinner last night and woke up at 142. I was 120 at dinnertime. I did have a dinner meeting where I ate fries along with a Turkey Rueben so I know I blew it on that...

    This is very hard.

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Is it your insurance that won't let you test more often? That seems counterintuitive on their part - more testing = less complications down the road, but when have insurance companies ever been intuitive?

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger sweetsnomo said…

    Yes, insurance. I am going to talk to the doctor and push for more test strips...last night went to bed at 106 and woke at 167 (ugh). Didn't do the 2am test.

    I think my doc will push for more if I ask. I hold my breath anymore during the countdown on my meter in the mornings. The stress can't be helping.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home