Sweetsnomo

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Not so different...

I just realized last night as I made the treat for my daughter's class (9th birthday) that there are other ailments that need a lot of attention. My daughter and I were making "Ice Cream Cones" by using cake mix in the cones and frosting for the "ice cream". While we were making these treats, she reminded me that a child in her class was allergic to nuts. This got me to thinking about his life and what he and his family must endure every day.

What must life be like in his house? How does his mom handle his meals? We as diabetics can pretty much eat anything we want with a bit of math wizardry and bolusing finesse. What would it be like to not be able to eat a certain food because it could literally KILL you? There is a "nut fee" table in the lunchroom for these special kids. Does he feel singled out because of this? Would I feel different if I had to sit at a different table because of my diabetes?

How does the mom feel as she shuttles her child off to school everyday wondering if someone next to her son will accidentally give him something with nuts. I'm sure they have their warnings and instructions (Epi pen in school office). It also reminded me of Sandra Miller's son when he is offered class treats. As an adult I feel I can navigate this disease without too much difficulty. I feel for the parents that must send their precious darlings out into the world with these added burdens.

Well we included the ingredient labels for our treat so he can determine if he can eat it. We were pretty sure but didn't want to take any chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home